Thursday, January 29, 2015

Paddy Ryan's High School Yearbook Flicker 1944-45 Gloucester MA

While in Gloucester, I visited the archives at the Cape Ann Museum.  I was looking for records pertaining to widows and orphans of lost fisherman, but what I found was our dad's high school yearbook: Flicker 1944-45. (Paul Ryan Jr.) This yearbook has been available on eBay for some time but I was not willing to pay $65 for something I was pretty sure we threw out when we emptied 42 Bruce Street.  The staff very nicely made copies for me.



This was in the "When They Were Young" section of the yearbook and I sure do wish we had this photo on hand.  I see my sister Paula in this picture.  No wonder Paula is Uncle Tim's "favorite niece". 

  Dad was a cheerleader in college as well as in high school.  He's the guy in the white pants here (you probably figured that out).  Look at the crowd behind them!

This is the Boys Glee Club.  I think these are ROTC uniforms. (Reserved Officers Training Corps) I do remember Dad was actively involved in such programs.  In the mid 1940s, it would have been very common as World War II raged overseas.

I saw this senior picture and couldn't help but think there was a time when such a character would find himself stuffed in a locker every single day.  If you read his summary, you'll see his ambition is "to go around the world in the Merchant Marine with Umbriago at the wheel."  Umbriago was apparently an imaginary sidekick to Jimmy Durante.  I don't quite get it either, but I'll bet it's clever.

A few days after I got these, my husband found another copy of the yearbook in a local bookstore.  Someone had very handily labeled all the seniors in the book and this verified that "Paddy" appeared several other times in the yearbook as well but I think these pictures are a fair reflection of Dad in high school.

2 comments:

  1. So who is the character that took his place? You, your brother or one of your sisters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I would have to say it was one of our cheerleaders (sisters only!). Ha!

      Delete