Saturday, January 10, 2015

Louise Coffarelli Barra 1896 - 1989


One of my recent research goals has been to find out a little bit more about the Coffarelli family. We know that your grandfather James was the youngest of 9 children. His mother, Rose, died when James was only 10, foreshadowing the fate of his own children John and Regina.

James' obituary noted he was survived by four sisters including Sister Magdalen Maria ( his sister Tessie/Theresa); Mrs. M Desabto (Margaret); Elizabeth; Mrs. M Barra (Louise/Lucy) as well as two brothers Joseph and Phillip. So I started researching the surviving siblings.

Initial research shows that Louise Coffarelli married Michael Barra in June 1919 and Lena Coffarelli married Anthony Fierro just 3 months later. I presume Louise Barra is surviving sibling Mrs. M. Barra. Lena did not survive him as she had died four years earlier in 1930.James had six sisters and 4 lived after he died in 1934.

I came across a Social Security death record for Louise Barra and from that information I obtained an obituary noting her death in Florida. I think this might be your Aunt Louise. Interestingly she "only" died in 1989--pretty recent in the realm of family history work. I am startled that there might have been a living Coffarelli aunt within the time frame of the work I've done on your family so far! I expect one of you to blurt out--"Oh yeah, I remember Aunt Louise!" in one of those lightbulb moments.

This obituary notes that Louise is survived by 2 sons Anthony and John -- in 1989 one of them practically lived in our backyard. Catskill is not that far away from here!

I feel as though the evidence just barely hangs together--not quite enough to feel certain that this is your great aunt Louise Coffarelli. Then another little miracle fell into my lap. Literally.

Every now and again I flip through the same photo albums, papers, memorabilia etc just to see what I find that's new to me. This time the news came from your mother's old metal address file. It pops open and the pages fall out of it -- full of pen and pencil marks, cross outs and changed numbers or addresses. Including Louise Barra and Anthony Barra!!! In Catskill!!! I scanned this sheet even though it's messy, it's like a sparkling diamond to me.

So I've done a little more investigating and discovered an Anthony Barra (along with several other Barras) in Catskill. I have learned this is Louise's son and he died just a few years ago in 2011.

And the address file yielded another gem. Remember Lena Fierro? Well, there are two Fierros listed in your mother's addresses. This will be my next focus. There may be new Coffarelli cousins coming out your ears before you know it. How cool is that?

1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing the Barra and Fierro names in Mom's christmas card pile every year. Yes, Louise lived here in the Englewood/Punta Gorda area south of Nick and I. Uncle Johnny used to come to visit her and would visit us, too. He still visited, even after her death. I think it was a son(his nephew). Angela would be able to help.

    ReplyDelete