Sunday, April 2, 2017

Walter Jozwicki 1906-1996 and Rose Messa Jozwicki 1910-1986

A while back, Ginger Jozwicki asked me to see what I could learn about her father in law Walter Jozwicki.  In particular, she was curious about his siblings.  "Easy-peazy" I thought to myself.  How hard can it be to find the name Walter Jozwicki????  Boy, did I learn a lesson......would you believe there was at least one other Walter Jozwicki (not far from the same age) living the in the same general area as "our" Walter??? And there seemed to be some conflict in information about place of birth and so forth.  The search wasn't as quite straightforward as I expected, but it led me to some very interesting tidbits to share.  It seems the harder the search, the more rewarding the results.  I'll try to remember that in the future. 

We saw Aunt Rose Dalpiaz Albertini and Uncle Lou Albertini recently and Aunt Rose (bless her soul, she's full of great stories and information) gave me some tips that lead me to the right family.  It meant searching page by page through the census records, but I got there!!!  In 1920, young Walter YAZISKY was living in Ohio with his father Andrew and mother Antonia.  The oldest child in the house at the time was Mary, who is listed as born in Russian Poland--same as her parents.  The remaining six children at the time included Walter, Helen, Joseph, Jennie, Estella and Henry.  By 1930, when I found them in Queens, another daughter, Dorothy, had been born.  The family was easier to find in 1930 as they were indexed as JUZWECKE, but this also meant a page by page search through the census to find a family living in the vicinity of the Messa family. 

Walter Jozwicki Sr.

Walter married the fair Rose Messa in 1933.  Many of you have fond memories of Uncle Walter and Aunt Rose.  While researching the Jozwicki family, I did come across this interesting tidbit from the Long Island Star Journal in 1948:

It was one of those street interviews and the question asked was "What is your favorite type of book?"  Though I never met Aunt Rose, I can just about picture her chatting in the street with this Inquiring Photographer from the Long Island Star Journal. 

I have tracked some of Walter Sr.'s siblings.  Mary, Helen, Jeanette (Jennie) and Estella each got married.  Joseph also married, but I'm not sure about Henry.  This is an ongoing investigation :)  I expect some rewarding results as the searching is not simple and straightforward.  Lucky for me Aunt Rose Albertini is such a great resource!  Cheers to both Aunt Roses!










3 comments:

  1. I remember her as being talkative. Her and Uncle Walter were like a comedy act. They were the straight people for each other. Thanks for making us think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been a pure delight thanks for all your hard work.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo of Rose Jozwicki is Henry's Wife not Walter's so there were two women named Rose.

    ReplyDelete