Sunday, April 2, 2017

My Friend Amy

My friend Amy died today.  We'd been "chemo buddies", keeping each other company while potent drugs dripped their way into our systems.  These drugs were meant to wend their way throughout our bodies annihilating lethal rouge cancer cells.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Amy was a colleague whose unique insight and valuable perceptions saved the day for me many many times!  I would often stop by her room for a chat and she always took the time.  She probably could have been doing something better, but I never ever had the sense that she minded.

When I was considering coming back to this blog, I asked if I could stop by once again.  She wasn't in her classroom any longer.  At this point, she was hospitalized awaiting the trip home to hospice.  I hoped to get a bit of her wisdom and perhaps offer her an outlet if needed.  Don't get me wrong...I completely expected to benefit more from this than she might.  It was a selfish move on my part because I wasn't sure how to handle returning to the blog with or without mentioning what has kept me away so long. 

Her influence lives on.  Tonight I used the cookbook her art students put together as a fund raiser several years ago.  I didn't use it as a tribute to her today--I use it regularly.  She's literally on my kitchen counter.  I have a stamped card addressed to her ready to go to the mailbox. 

A character on the Netflix show Grace and Frankie (a show I'm pretty sure Amy would adore) noted the afterlife is about how you're remembered by the living.  Amy will have a lovely afterlife.  I am grateful she's no longer suffering.

I will miss my friend, but she is remembered here every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment