Sunday, May 10, 2015

William Gleason Jr. 1925-2015

We we saddened to learn of Bill Gleason's death recently.  Saddened, but not overly surprised since he lived to be 89 years old!  Bless him.  I thought of him frequently, fretting a bit that no one would think to let us know when he died as his children have no idea who we are.  He died March 31 and we were in Gloucester for Easter weekend, so we could have paid our respects in person but we didn't find out until a couple of weeks later after a phone call from cousin George Handran to our aunt Emmy Ryan.

I never got to know his wife very well, but Bill was very kind to us.  He graciously invited us to him home and fixed us lunch.  We brought our young children and he didn't seem the least bit fazed by that perhaps partly due to his own grandchildren.  He generously shared his sister Ann's family history notes for the Pierce side of the family.  I still refer to them regularly in my research.

 This is our dad, Paul Ryan on the right with his cousin Bill.  Just off Dad's shoulder you also see Dad's cousin George Handran.  This was in the summer of 2000.

Later the same day.  From left to right Bruce Pierce, Timothy Ryan, George Handran, Paul Ryan, Billy Pierce, Tom Foley and Peter Ryan.  All cousins of some degree through the Pierce side: truly Gathering The Cousins!

Cousin Bill Gleason's mother was Florence Pierce Gleason, sister to my grandmother Catherine Pierce Ryan of Gloucester Massachusetts.  You may remember a recent post that included some memories Bill shared after our father Paul Ryan died.  Bill's sister Ann was also very generous with her time and information.  I met up with her once or twice at Bill's and corresponded with her frequently.  I learned of her death when George Handran called me from Ireland to let me know.  I was very grateful for that call. 

Rest in peace Bill and Ann.  You are missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment