Saturday, May 2, 2015

Disabto Family Update


A while back, Margaret Coffarelli Disabto's great granddaughter contacted me offering some tidbits of information about this elusive family.  Remember that Margaret is your grandfather James oldest sibling.  She was born in Italy in 1880 shortly before emigrating to New York.  She married an older man who'd been married before:  Marco Disabto.  She also used the name Innocencia (these Italians seem pretty loosey-goosey with their first names) They had at least 9 children.  This new "cousin" of yours descends from Marie Disabto Cochrane.  Her name is also Marie.

This is what Marie has to say: "Talked to my mom today and she said that Mark came here through Ellis Island alone. His mother had died and father was remarried. He then was part of an arranged marriage with Margaret. I believe that they were a few years different in age. Margaret lived with my Grandmother Marie and my mom (when my mom was a child) in the upstiars of their house. Margaret told my mom about the arranged marriage and Margaret was told he was a good man. She told my mom you know what they were right he was a good man. Mark died from a possible cancer."

This gives me some valuable information as I pursue this family.  In a previous post about this family, I think I shared with you a newspaper article about Margaret's son Joseph who was killed in action at Guadalcanal in January 1943.  This is what Marie shares about that: 
"As far as Giuseppe/ Joseph death. The story I heard was that he was on duty that night and not sure if there was a party the night before, but everyone else was asleep. Joseph saw, heard the attack coming and single handedly killed/delayed the enemy until help arrived/woke up. He was killed saving and alerting a lot of men to the enemy sneak attack.
My grandma mare had a picture of Grandma Disabato dressed all in black sitting down holding all Joseph's medals. Silver star, purple heart and I thought the Congressional Medal of Honor. After my grandma died we think our uncle Jerry took it....but really don't know."

No comments:

Post a Comment