Thursday, December 25, 2014

John "Jack" Ryan and his brother Everett

Another unfinished story rests with John Ryan (Uncle Jack).  It was an additional mission in Gloucester and I found him as well.  It's an interesting story.

Paul "Grampie" Ryan Sr. was one of 9 children.  One baby girl died at birth so Aunt Bud was the only girl among seven boys.  John "Jack" Ryan was the youngest and was the victim of an accidental shooting in November 1939.  I think I've shared that story before.  Our uncle Tim Ryan told me he thought that Jack had died as a result of his wounds, but I didn't find an obituary in the days immediately following the accident.  So I felt I needed to "find" him as well so that I could close his story also.

I had discovered he died sometime in 1939 so it was a tad easier to go day by day through the newspapers from the November shooting date to the end of the year to find his death.

More than 7 weeks elapsed between the accident and his death, and Tim was absolutely correct that his uncle had died as a result of the shooting.  I noted that Jack had a wife and two children.

Since I was on a hot streak, I decided to pick up the thread left behind by this gravestone:


John J. Bentley is Captain Bentley who was lost at sea, Mary Costello Bentley was his wife.  Catherine Bentley was their daughter, our ancestor who married this William H. Ryan.  They are buried in separate cemeteries.  Everett Sr. is one of Grampie's brothers and Everett Jr. obviously his son.  As tempted as I was to locate Everett Jr. who apparently died as a teenager, I began looking for Everett Sr. in 1934.

I did find a funeral notice for Everett Sr. in August of that year but couldn't find the traditional death notice so I looked in the main portion of the paper and stopped cold when I found this very sad story:

This left me feeling very melancholy at how sad and lonely it must have been for Everett and his family and I couldn't go any further that day.  I was able to close the door on 3 of the siblings and have 2 remaining (Chester and Arthur).  There was a great deal of tragedy in that Ryan household which provides insight for our grandfather and father.

No comments:

Post a Comment