Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Facebook Schmapebook Manzellis on the Social Network of the Day

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I found my grandfather Francis Flynn on Facebook recently.  Really!  As I've mentioned one zillion times, occasionally I surf the internet somewhat aimlessly looking for family surnames or events.  I did so recently with my grandfather's name and there he was, right there on Facebook for everyone to find.  Can you imagine?

This got me thinking about what he would have thought of such a thing.  Facebook, social networking and seeing himself land there would probably be things about which he would shake his head ruefully.  "Social networking?  That's no big deal---we've been networking since the cave man."  Oh yeah? Well, actually....yes they have.

My husband James tells me the Dalpiaz family did not have a party line on the phone, but we did when I was young.  Now THAT'S a "social network" where all kinds of news got shared while others kind of lurked in the background soaking it up.  Another tool used by your ancestors was likely the local newspaper.  Articles and headlines appeared in those days that you would never, ever see today (that's if you ever actually have a newspaper in your hand anymore).  I found some interesting tidbits that I imagine kept the networking wires abuzz at your family's Sunday dinners back in the day.


 This one's a little hard to read, but your great grandfather Giuseppe (Joseph) Manzelli apparently inherited a fair amount of money from his brother--$7500 for Giuseppe and Pasquale!  You don't see these kinds of things in the paper today. Brooklyn Daily Star April 6 1928.
 You should take a look at this one which talks about your grandmother Marguerite Manzelli performing at St. Rita's --all the way at the end it mentions she had a solo.  Also included in this production was her brother Albert as well as Amelia (I'm thinking this might be Emily?).  Take note near the top of the article where it says "A large attendance is expected, notwithstanding that today Ravenswood is practically cut off from trolley communication with the outside world because of the snow blockade."  This is from Mon Feb 16 1920 when Marguerite was just shy of her 22nd birthday.
 From the Long Island Star Journal we have a picture of Andrew Manzelli March 4 1940 all decked out in "Western Regalia for Minstrel".  This would be something else our families had in common as my dad was a regular at the minstrel shows (usually in a dress singing Barbra Streisand, but that's another tale for another day)
This one begs for the rest of the story since there surely is more to tell.  I believe this to be your great uncle Peter.  Hmmmm.  The Gangster Squad??

I'm now quite certain that Facebook currently exists because this stuff no longer does. 

1 comment:

  1. Mom always said her mother liked to sing and I thought she played the piano, too. Amelia is Aunt Dolly and Betty Roubal was Betty Decker. I wonder if the accomplice in the robbery is related to her?

    ReplyDelete