Monday, February 10, 2014

Nevins family of Ellicottville NY

Recently I've found some really cool newspaper articles that are helping to fill in the pictures of the lives of our Nevins ancestors.  I thought you'd enjoy seeing them.  It is so COOL finding this stuff and I've been wasting way too time on this--but, honestly it's not wasted and it could never be too much time to find these tidbits.

Marriage announcement for our great grandparents Henry and Caroline Nevins as it appeared in the Ellicottville paper The Post Wed Sept 25 1901.  Notice they were married on a weekday morning.

John Nevins is Henry's father and our great great grandfather.  I am wondering how innovative this was or perhaps not at all for the time.  From The Post Wed Oct 5 1898.

I love this one!  Mary with the black eye is Henry's older sister.  One of our contemporary Nevins cousins remembers meeting her and says she was a "flamboyant dresser".  Our grandmother said Mary became an RN later in life and lived with her brother after their parents died.  Sounds like a character I should be researching further, especially as I don't have her death information yet.  From The Post June 14 1905.

And, even though it's pretty hard to pick out my favorite little tidbit, the following is certainly in the top 3:
Christopher Fisher is our great great grand uncle (Julia Nevins brother and Henry's uncle).  Looks like he lost his goose Christmas night and was finally anxious enough to put an ad in the Ellicottville American Union sometime around Jan 15 1862.  Makes you wonder if the goose ran off to join the Union Army. 

These articles were obtained from FultonHistory.com .  This is a wonderful resource especially for people with ties in small town New York. 

2 comments:

  1. I think the goose ran off so he wouldn't be Christmas Day dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the goose WAS someone's Christmas dinner!

    I don't think this time is wasted either! I love seeing what they did in their lives. It makes them more than a name on a tree, if you know what I mean. Love these!

    ReplyDelete