Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Francis P. "Weenie" Flynn 1906-1983

I found some articles about my grandfather Francis P. "Weenie" Flynn that I don't remember.  I'm sure I must have seen these at some point since they are in my piles and piles of family history trivia, but I don't remember these and I thought others might enjoy seeing them again too.

These are contained within a folder of Hall of Fame induction programs for 1970 (Weenie's year) and 1969.  Inside the induction programs are programs for the game held that day.  On Feb 14 1970, St. Bonaventure played Providence College and it was the ECAC Game of the Week.  One of the captains of the team was senior Bob Lanier who went on to become a well respected NBA player for Detroit and Milwaukee.  I can remember my grandfather talking about how big this kid's feet were (size 22).  Until I saw these articles, I had forgotten this game and the Hall of Fame ceremonies were broadcast on network TV.  My Mom and Dad we able to attend the ceremonies.


I am pretty sure this article is from the Olean Times Herald.  It tickles me to note he's described as "not beefy enough" (an understatement) and 40 years later his great grandson is described as BEEFY and chugging around the bases to win his league championship.

 This is part of the program from that event.  The drawing is clearly my grandfather during his St. Bonaventure years. 

My favorite leatherhead!

2 comments:

  1. Is that where all the athletic ability comes from? I never thought it was from the Dalpiaz side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never gets old. Reading and hearing about Weenie's antics. I love it. The "Beefy" reference sure does ring true, doesn't it? I can't help but remember Ryan Dalpiaz running as fast as he could to score the winning run in his baseball championship! I love thinking that Weenie experienced that kind of joy on an athletic field. History repeats itself...

    ReplyDelete